You were probably wondering why you need to make your own mineral makeup powder and turn it into a natural sun block. Well, the answer is more than simple: almost all facial powders available on the market feature a combination of harmful compounds such as Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Pearl Powder, Titanium Dioxide or Iron Oxides. These compounds don`t sound at all natural and might actually cause you allergies, skin inflammation or acne. In order to avoid using harmful substances on your face, it is best to use an organic facial powder recipe that will offer you both a powder and a natural sun block product.
What do you need to make your own mineral makeup powder?
The list is simple and you can buy all these ingredients from a shop that sell only organic, natural products. Get a pen and paper and start making our shopping list as it follows:
- You will need a small jar. It is best to use a storing item made from glass because it will help your powder to last longer and to keep its properties.
- A grinder will help you mix the ingredients correctly, but if you wish, you can mix them by using a spoon made from wood or bamboo.
- 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder - acts as a thickening agent, but you will have to search for an organic one (without the GMOs).
- 4 tablespoons of organic cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon of organic cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay
- 10 drops of vitamin E oil – make sure you buy a non – GMO sourced vitamin E; this compound can cause serious allergic reaction, if it does not come from a natural source.
How to mix the ingredients
Take a glass bowl and place all of your ingredients. The amount specified for each is indicative and you will have to use each one depending on your skin complexion. Thus, the quantities mentioned will give you a light powder perfect for fair complexion.
Use all the ingredients in the mentioned bowl or grind them. The key is to mix them correctly and to add slowly the cocoa powder. This is what will provide the powder with colour, so diminish or increase the quantity depending on the shade you want to achieve.
Test the colour of the powder on your neck to see if it matches your complexion.
After you are satisfied with your colour, store the powder in a jar and use a dry sponge or brush to apply.
Why is it good to use a homemade mineral powder?
First of all, the drops of Vitamin E will protect your skin against sun damage and UV rays. Also, it will nourish your skin preventing dehydration. A mineral makeup powder made at home and mixed with organic Vitamin E oil will act as a natural sun block. This is a perfect recipe for summer, but it is best to use it in winter, too. We never stop facing UV rays and sun damage!