Nowadays we face various health issues due to environmental toxins and unhealthy habits. The soft skin around our eyes is more sensitive to toxins, which can cause eye puffiness or even dark circles. Other factors that can lead to puffy eyes are the lack of sleep, skin disorders, hormonal changes or even allergies. One of the best natural skin care solutions is the use of chilled tea bags on the eyelids.
You may wonder why tea bags are great for treating eye puffiness or dark circles. The answer is quite simple: eye puffiness is caused by inflammation, which can easily be diminished with the beneficial effects of tea. The anti-oxidants and caffeine present in tea aid in diminishing the fluid retention in the tissue around the eyes. Moreover, anti-oxidants act as anti-aging barriers and protect the skin against harmful elements. Tea is reach in tannins that promote good blood circulation and reduce the inflammation from around your eyes.
Types of tea that are great for treating eye puffiness and dark circles
- Because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich nature, chamomile tea is one of the best remedies for skin care problems. Scientists say that direct application on the skin can significantly boost the healing process, which leads to the disappearance of puffy eyes and dark circles.
- Green tea is great for dealing with dark circles due to its high content of tannins and antioxidants. Its astringent nature constricts the blood vessels and allows the skin to regain its healthy look.
- Black tea is not such a common remedy for treating eye puffiness, but it is known for its anti-ageing effects. It is rich in caffeine, which draws out the excess water to diminish dark circles.
- Peppermint tea has both curative and refreshment effect. A cold peppermint tea compress applied on the eyes will cleanse and reduce swelling. This happens due to the strong menthol aroma that causes the eyes to water.
How to use tea bags for dark circles and puffy eyes
It is best to use 2 tea bags (chamomile, green, black or peppermint tea) and steep them in a glass of hot water for no more than 60 seconds. After this, the bags should be removed from water, placed in a bowl and left in the fridge in order to get cool. As soon as the bags are chilled, close your eyes and place one bag over the eyelid. Allow the cool tea bags to soothe your eyes for about 5 to 15 minutes. The results will be observed immediately: the skin around the eyes will look healthier, while the dark circles will be diminished.
Tips and Precautions
- Always avoid getting tea in your eyes during this treatment.
- Never use hot tea bags because they can harm both your eyes and your skin.
- Use new tea bags for each treatment.
- Before using this natural remedy for puffy eyes or dark circles, it is best to test the tea on your skin. This will prevent unwanted effects such as allergies.
- Drinking the proper amount of water is beneficial for your health and for your skin. Hence, for the best results, make sure you are properly hydrated.